Dr Dan Martin
Dr Dan Martin
- Honorary Consultant in Anaesthesia and Critical Care, Royal Free Hospital, London
- Senior Lecturer, Division of Surgery and Interventional Science, University College London
Daniel is the Director of CASE, runs the UCL Extreme Environment Physiology undergraduate BSC module with Kevin Fong and is one of the Directors of Xtreme Everest. He is also a Critical Care Consultant for a busy tertiary referral teaching hospital in London.
- 2015: Scientific advisor and presenter for the BBC Four television documentary: The Wonderful World of Blood with Michael Mosley
- 2013: ‘Doctors on Everest’ The Cure, Al Jazeera, 19th June 2013. Winner of the Foreign Press Association’s ‘Science Story of the Year’
- 2013: ‘Our mountain of data will advance medicine.’ Metro, 15th May 2013
- 2013: ‘No mountain to high for a human guinea pig.’ Metro, 19th March 2013
- 2013: The Times: New Power List - 100 people to watch in 2013; The Times, January 2013
- 2012: Daredevil scientist BBC News website: described by the BBC as one of the “five daredevils who helped science” www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19945627
- 2012: BBC2 documentary scientific advisor and presenter- ‘How to grow a planet’; including World-wide press coverage an interview in Science (Science 2011, 333:1685.). Episode was the winner of a Wildscreen Panda Award 2012
- 2012: BBC1 documentary scientific advisor and presenter ‘To boldly go - Up’
- 2010: Sheffield Doc-Fest November: Invited scientific advisor for the Wellcome Trust
- 2009: Wellcome Institute - ‘Packed Lunch’, live public interview and Podcast. London
- 2009: ‘Race to the Pole’ - A public debate with Ben Fogle and James Cracknell about their voyage to the South Pole. Cheltenham Science Festival
- 2009: ‘The doctor who dropped his trousers on the top of the World’: The Independent newspaper, page 3, January 8th 2009.
- 2008: ‘On top of the World’: New Scientist, Graduate Special: Real lives series. 25th October 2008
- 2007: ‘Back from the brink: the science of survival’: The Royal Institute Lectures. Episode one, Channel Five, December.
- 2007: ‘Doctors in the Death Zone’: Two part BBC Horizons documentary. BBC 2
- 2007: ‘Xtreme Everest’: Two part radio documentary. BBC Radio Four
- Stephen W, Davies T, Martin D, Feelisch M and Gilbert-Kawai E. Getting the most from venous occlusion plethysmography: proposed methods for the analysis of data with a rest/exercise protocol. Extreme Physiology & Medicine (2015) 4:8
- Sanborn MR, Edsell ME, Kim MN, Mesquita R, Putt ME, Imray C, Yow H, Wilson MH, Yodh AG, Grocott M and Martin DS. Cerebral Hemodynamics at Altitude: Effects of Hyperventilation and Acclimatization on Cerebral Blood Flow and Oxygenation. Wilderness EnvironMed. 2015 Mar 18. (Epub ahead of print)
- Gilbert-Kawai E, Sherperdigian A, Adams T, Mitchell K, Feelisch M, Murray A, Peters M, Gilbert-Kawai G, Montgomery H, Levett D, Kumar R, Mythen M, Grocott M, Martin D. Design and conduct of Xtreme Everest 2: An observational cohort study of Sherpa and lowlander responses to graduated hypobaric hypoxia. F1000Research 2015, 4:90
- Levett DZ, Viganò A, Capitanio D, Vasso M, De Palma S, Moriggi M, Martin DS, Murray AJ, Cerretelli P, Grocott MP and Gelfi C. Changes in muscle proteomics in the course of the Caudwell Research Expedition to Mt. Everest. Proteomics. 2014 Nov 5. (Epub ahead of print)
- Martin DS, Cobb A, Meale P, Mitchell K, Edsell M, Mythen M and Grocott MPW. Systemic oxygen extraction during exercise at high altitude. Br J Anaesth. 2014 Dec 13.
- Gilbert-Kawai ET, Mitchell K, Martin D, Carlisle J, Grocott MP. Permissive hypoxaemia versus normoxaemia for mechanically ventilated critically ill patients. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014 May 7;5:CD009931.
- Siervo M, Riley H, Fernandez B, Leckstrom C, Martin D, et al. Effects of Prolonged Exposure to Hypobaric Hypoxia on Oxidative Stress, Inflammation and Gluco-Insular Regulation: The Not-So-Sweet Price for Good Regulation. PLOS ONE. April 2014
- Holloway CJ, Murray AJ, Mitchell K, Martin DS, Johnson AW, Cochlin LE, Codreanu I, Dhillon S, Rodway GW, Ashmore T, Levett DZH, Neubauer S, Montgomery HE, Grocott MPW and Clarke K. Oral coenzyme Q10 supplementation does not prevent cardiac alterations during a high altitude trek to Everest Base Camp. High Alt Med Biol. 2014, Vol 15.
- Martin DS, Gilbert-Kawai E, Levett D, Mitchell K, Mythen M and Grocott M. Xtreme Everest 2: secrets of the Sherpa phenotype. Extreme Physiology & Medicine 2013, 2:30
- Martin DS, Gilbert-Kawai ET, Meale PM, Fernandez BO, Cobb A, Khosravi M, Mitchell K, Grocott MPW, Levett DZH, Mythen MG and Feelisch M for the Xtreme Alps Research Group. Design and conduct of ‘Xtreme Alps’:
A double-blind, randomised controlled study of the effects of dietary nitrate supplementation on acclimatisation to high altitude. Contemporary Clinical Trials. Volume 36, Issue 2, November 2013.
- Martin DS, Levett DZH, Bezemer R, Montgomery HE and Grocott MPW. The use of skeletal muscle near infrared spectroscopy and a vascular occlusion test at high altitude. High Alt Med Biol. 2013 Sep;14(3):256-62.
- Gavlak JC, Stocks J, Laverty A, Fettes E, Bucks R, Sonnappa S, Cooper J, Grocott MP, Levett DZ, Martin DS, Imray CH and Kirkham FJ. The Young Everest Study: preliminary report of changes in sleep and cerebral blood flow velocity during slow ascent to altitude in unacclimatised children. Arch Dis Child. 2013 May;98(5):356-62.
- Martin D, Thompson A, Stewart I, Gilbert E, Hope K, Kawai G and Griffiths A. A paradigm of fragile Earth in Priestley's bell jar. Extreme Physiology & Medicine. 2012; 1:4
- Martin DS, Pate JS, Vercueil A, Doyle PW, Mythen MG and Grocott MPW. Reduced coagulation at high altitude identified by thromboelastography. Thromb Haemost. 2012 May 31;107(6):1066-1071.
- Levett DZ, Radford EJ, Menassa DA, Graber EF, Morash AJ, Hoppeler H, Clarke K, Martin DS, Ferguson-Smith AC, Montgomery HE, Grocott MP, Murray AJ; the Caudwell Xtreme Everest Research Group. Acclimatization of skeletal muscle mitochondria to high-altitude hypoxia during an ascent of Everest. FASEB J. 2012 Apr;26(4):1431-41.
- JM van der Kaaij, DS Martin, MG Mythen, MP Grocott. Research on Mount Everest: Exploring adaptation to Hypoxia to Benefit the Critically ill patient. Neth J Crit Care 2011; Vol. 15, No 5: 240-248
- Levett DZ, Fernandez BO, Riley H, Martin DS, Mitchell K, Leckstrom CA, Ince C, Whipp BJ, Mythen MG, Montgomery HE, Grocott MPW, & Feelisch M. The role of nitrogen oxides in human adaptation to hypoxia. Scientific Reports 2011. 1:109. DOI: 10.1038/srep00109
- Wilson MH, Edsell MEG, Davagnanam I, Hirani SP, Martin DS, Levett DZH, Thornton JS, Golay X, Strycharczuk L, Newman SP, Montgomery HE, Grocott MPW and Imray CHE. Cerebral artery dilatation maintains cerebral oxygenation at extreme altitude and in acute hypoxia - an ultrasound and MRI study. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2011 Oct; 31(10):2019-2029
- Levett DZ, Martin DS, Wilson MH, Mitchell K, Dhillon S, Rigat F, Montgomery HE, Mythen MM and Grocott MP. Design and conduct of Caudwell Xtreme Everest: an observational cohort study of variation in human adaptation to progressive environmental hypoxia. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2010 Oct 21;10(1):98.
- Grocott MPW, Martin DS, Wilson MH, Mitchell K, Dhillon S, Mythen MG, Montgomery HE and Levett DZH. Caudwell Xtreme Everest Expedition. High Alt Med Biol. Volume 11, Number 2, 2010
- Martin DS, Goedhart P, Vercueil A, Ince C, Levett DZH, Grocott MPW. Changes in sublingual microcirculatory flow index and vessel density on ascent to altitude. Exp Physiol 2010 Aug;95(8):880-91.
- Bezemer R, Karemaker JM, Klijn E, Martin D, Mitchell K, Grocott M, Heger M and Ince C. Simultaneous multi-depth assessment of tissue oxygen saturation in thenar and forearm using near-infrared spectroscopy during a simple cardiovascular challenge. Critical Care 2009, 13(Suppl 5):S5
- Martin DS, Levett DZH, Mythen M and Grocott MPW. Changes in skeletal muscle oxygenation during exercise measured by near-infrared spectroscopy on ascent to altitude. Critical Care 2009, 13(Suppl 5):S7
- Scrase E, Laverty A, Gavlak JCD, Sonnappa S, Levett DZH, Martin D, Grocott MPW, and Stocks J. The Young Everest Study: Effects of hypoxia at high altitude on cardio-respiratory function and general well-being in healthy children. Arch. Dis. Child. 2009 Aug;94(8):621-6.
- Martin DS, Ince C, Goedhart P, Levett DZ and Grocott MP. Abnormal blood flow in the sublingual microcirculation at high altitude. Eur J Appl Physiol. 2009 Jun; 106(3):473-8.
- Grocott M and Martin D, Levett D, McMorrow R, Windsor W, and Montgomery H. Arterial blood gases and oxygen content in climbers on Mount Everest. N Engl J Med. 2009 Jan 8;360(2):140-149.
- Martin D, McCorkell S, Vercueil A, Gunning P, Cox M, Dick J, Mythen M, Grocott M. Increased gastric-end tidal PCO2 gap during exercise at high altitude measured by gastric tonometry. High Alt Med Biol. 2007 Spring;8(1):50-5.
- Gilbert-Kawai ET, Milledge JS, Grocott MPW, Martin DS. King of the Mountains: Tibetan and Sherpa Physiological Adaptations for Life at High Altitude. Physiology 2014; 29(6) 388-402
- Martin DS, Grocott MP. Oxygen Therapy in Critical Illness: Precise Control of Arterial Oxygenation and Permissive Hypoxemia. Crit Care Med. 2013 Feb;41(2):423-32
- Martin DS, Khosravi M, Grocott M, Mythen M. Concepts in Hypoxia Reborn. Critical Care 2010, 14:315
- Martin DS, Levett DZH, Grocott MPW, Montgomery HE. Variation in human performance in the hypoxic mountain environment. Exp Physiol 2010; 95.3 pp 463-470
- Martin D and Windsor J. From mountain to bedside. Understanding the clinical relevance of human acclimatisation to high altitude hypoxia. Postgrad. Med. J. 2008; 84; 622-627
- DS Martin and MPW Grocott. Oxygen therapy and anaesthesia: too much of a good thing? Anaesthesia 2015, 70, 522-7
- Martin DS. Oxygen Therapy: Is the Tide Turning? Critical Care Medicine, 2014 Volume 42, Issue 6, 1553-1554
- Martin DS and Grocott M. Oxygen therapy in anaesthesia: the yin and yang of O2. Br J Anaesth. 2013 Dec;111(6):867-71.
- @CASE_Medicine / Mar 27 14:50
RT @freeflightphys: Good luck to our friends @XtremeEverest & @MitoExplorer on the #cxe10 expedition. See you all @CASE_Medicine KnO2wledge 10 #oxygen #altitude
- @CASE_Medicine / Mar 20 11:33
RT @XtremeEverest: Also new: Read our #blogs whilst we are away in #Nepal , first up Sarah ponders how much @marmite she needs https://t.co/MArvbiy2z9
- @CASE_Medicine / Mar 20 11:33
RT @XtremeEverest: New on the website today: Join us at our special anniversary #lecture this May @RGS_IBG https://t.co/QAjtNVGiEl #London #Everest
- @CASE_Medicine / Mar 20 11:25
RT @mike_grocott: UNIQUE EVENT: joint European CPX Practicum & Perioperative CPET (POETTS) - 7-9 Nov 2017 @CPXInterntnl @POETTSoc… https://t.co/NInIeHewun